Monday, April 23, 2012

Classroom Re-do!

I'm having the 7 year itch with my classroom. I think it's because the first several years I never really had time to focus on the aesthetics of it and make it how I really wanted it to look. My first year I was in survival mode and I was pregnant, so puking was what I did in my spare time. The next year I came back in October after being on maternity leave, so I was in survival mode again. The other four years, I was trying to familiarize myself with everything there is to know- lesson plans, frameworks, activities, etc. etc. etc., and I also had another baby! This year has been the best year yet- my kids are super, I haven't had to spend any time on kids moving in or out (which is a miracle in and of itself), and I haven't had to miss much school (Praise the Lord! I may even have 4 days carry over to next school year, Lord willing). So-I've decided to spruce my classroom up a bit.
I've started in this corner, which I have now made the reading area. I ordered these two chairs on Walmart online and I am in LOVE with them. The kids are pretty crazy about them, as well. I got some artificial flowers to put in some pots to "home up" the kitchen center. And I found those adorable striped curtain panels at Walmart on clearance! I am still looking for some cute baskets in fun, bright colors to hold all of the books for the reading center. I still have lots of plans for that area of the classroom, including rock wallpaper, twine for hanging art, and a Picasso quote.
This little thing has added a lot more character to the classroom this year. Its' name is Tilly. It's a red-eared slider and he is sweet, but hisses at me when I take him out to clean the tank. The kids just adore him and love to watch him eat in the afternoons. The only thing I don't like is his tank stinks- no matter how much I clean it. I moved him away from my desk and put him on the highest shelf I have so that I don't have to get a whiff of it when I walk by. Thank goodness it has helped and he is able to stay another year!

No comments: