Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"This too shall pass"

Bayler swallowed a penny Wednesday night. I had put Grasen to bed and then Bayler to bed. Jordan was at a graduate class and I was very tired, so I got in bed (8:30, I know I must be getting old).

Ten minutes later Bayler came into my room and told me he swallowed a penny. I really thought he was pulling my leg and making excuses to get out of bed, but the longer that I looked at him and listened to him I knew he wasn't kidding. He said his throat was hurting and his tummy was too. I started panicking a little and thanking my God that he didn't choke and then I called Jordan. He called a dr friend who said something about if it was a penny made after 1982 then it was made of zinc which is more harmful to the tummy. Well ok. He swallowed it. I don't know the date of the penny. The dr really played it down and said "this too shall pass" adding some comedy to the situation....

I put Bayler in bed with me. He said that he was thirsty and hungry. I was a little nervous about giving him something, but decided that we could tell if the penny was lodged or not if he were to eat. He got down a cereal bar and water just fine. He went to sleep and then woke up vomiting at 3 am. We called the er and, of course, they acted like it was no big deal. I made a dr appt when we woke up the next morning and the dr ordered an X-ray. He wanted to make sure the penny had cleared the esophagus completely because if he were to hiccup or cough the penny could go back into his airway and block it.





So here are the findings....the penny was in a perfect spot to leave his body in 2-3 days. He did complain of a tummy ache the next day or two. On day 4 or 5 we used a metal detector to see if the penny was gone and it was! Thank God! I will never look at a penny the same way again.

No comments: