Friday, July 29, 2011

Parenting Advice

Today at Kelly's Korner her readers are sharing parenting advice. I would like to share about a book that we read and a class we took, "On Becoming Baby Wise."



We took the class while pregnant with our first child. I know that this is a controversial book, but we have found it to be the best thing for our family. It worked so well with our first child that we implemented the Babywise ways with our second child.

If you have never heard of it, it basically teaches you all about scheduling and how to feed your child on schedules, rather than feeding on demand. You learn ways to get your child in a routine so that they know what to expect.

Scheduling does not work for some families and that is okay. It worked awesome for us. Our children were sleeping completely through the night at around 9 weeks and they were sleeping 12 hours. They were such happy and content babies because they knew what to expect. Once our routine was established, we could lay them down and they would go to sleep, no crying.

The book also stresses the importance of not using a crutch to get them to fall asleep, driving around in the car, playing music, using a special blanket every night.

There are several other books by this author, Gary Ezzo, that help as your child ages. We took the class that goes along with "On Becoming Toddlerwise." It was wonderful!



Outside of these books, my only other advice is to be consistent with your parenting, read to them every night, and love them with all your heart.

1 comment:

Louise said...

Hi Jamie,

I found your blog from Kelly's site! I've been browsing through your blog! I was surprised.. we have some similar titled posts! dentist visits and baby pics of our daughter's compared with us at the same age ! I thought it was fun to see other posts like mine! I really like your blog!

Love Louise

www.heavensenthem.blogspot.com